-->

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

When Cold Winds Blow

Over a month ago I talked about Scars. I said that we all carry the wounds of past hurts with us. I mentioned that we have a choice. We can let these scars continue to hurt us. We can focus on the bad that happened and in turn become bitter evil people. Or we can choose to see them as something that God has used to make us better. 

I ended with an analogy of cold winds and talked about how there are times in our life when things happen that inflame these old wounds. Last weekend was one of these for me. I learned that God is with us even through these. I learned that God gives us people to help us through these times.
This last weekend would have been my anniversary with my ex-wife. This was not something that I consciously realized. That is until I woke up Saturday morning. The night before I had a dream that my current fiancee left me for another man. It took me a good hour to realize what was going on. My subconscious knew the date, even when I did not. This was a particularly nasty Nor'Easter. 

Do Not Forsake the Assembly

There is a passage in Hebrews where the author encourages believers to continue to meet together. This was not something I particularly wanted to do Saturday. I wanted to just sit at home and wallow. There were all kinds of things that I thought I needed. But, I am the Assistant Pastor so I had to go. I am thankful to God for this.

See the reason that the author of Hebrews commands believers to continue to assemble is so they can "stimulate one another to love and good deeds." The writer of Hebrews knew that people need each other. He (the author was probably Paul) knew that there would be times when we do not have the same faith. There would be times when we are not walking in the footsteps of our master. He knew that we would need others to encourage us and to point us back to our true hope. I needed this last weekend.

Needless to say I ended up at church. We have a praise time before services so I sat and communed with my heavenly father. It seemed as though the songs had been chosen just for me. I wept. This was an important step. It reminded me that I need others to show me my hope.

The Suffering Body

In 1 Corinthians 12 Paul reminds us that the church is the body of Christ; the people of God. Just like any other body there are various parts. All the parts of the body need all the other parts of the body to function. What he also says is that when one part of the body suffers, the whole body suffers. Every time I stub my toe I am reminded of the truth of this. 

What Paul does not say is that this only functions if the nervous system of the body works properly. There is a condition called congenital insensitivity. Basically this when a person cannot feel pain. Sounds cool! Until you realize that pain is what keeps us alive. Without pain we don't know the fire is hot and we burn up. Without pain we don't realize that we have been stabbed. People with this condition spend much of their life checking and rechecking their body to make sure that it is all there. 

Some churches have nerve damage.

Do you know when people in your church are suffering? Would you be able to tell if someone was having a bad day? Did you know that people were struggling in their marriage before they got a divorce? Do you share with your church so that they know these things about you?

Look this isn't supposed to shame you or your church. This is supposed to spur you and your church to do something. We can not truly be the body of Christ unless we are aware of the other parts. If we don't know someone is suffering we cannot suffer with them. We cannot be there for them when they need it. My hope is that your church does this.

During the prayer time at my church I mentioned that I was having a bad weekend. Why? Because I realized that I needed the church. I realized that there is no way for the church to suffer with me, if I don't share with them. What I didn't know is how much of a blessing I would receive

When I lived in Boulder I was blessed with a church that understood divorce. Many of the congregants were thirty years into their second marriage. They understood the pain that I was going through. They were there to help me through it. I didn't know if this church would be able to do the same. I felt alone in my suffering. But God knew just how to bless me.

The Apothecary

After the service I got many people saying that, though they didn't know what was going on they were praying for me. I began to see that this body cared for me. The best part came while I was having lunch. I got a text from a member of the church asking if she could come over. She had something for me.

This particular member of the church is sometimes lovingly called the town apothecary. What she brought over were essential oils. She had heard my request during church and God had told her that she should bless me. She ended up rubbing my feet with oils that help with depression. 


She had no idea what I was going through. She didn't know that my suffering was about my divorce. She didn't know that my major love language is acts of service. All she knew was that God wanted her to bless me. So she did. 

The Holy Spirit will help us encourage others.

I think sometimes we are afraid to do things for other people because we don't know how to help them. We are afraid we wont know what to say. Or how to act. The honest truth is most people who are suffering don't need you to say anything. They don't need you to give them theologically sound doctrine. What they need is someone to care for them. What they need is for you to listen to the Holy Spirit. 

Matt Chandler talked about our reaction to people's suffering. He mentioned that often we pray something like this: "Dear Lord please send someone into John's life. Send him someone who will encourage him. Send him someone who will bless him. Amen." What Chandler noted is that often WE are that person. If we are moved to pray this for someone then maybe we should be the person to help them. 

When Cold Winds Blow

So what did I learn? I learned that I need the church. I learned that I need to not be afraid to ask for help. I learned that even people who have no idea what I am going through can be a blessing to me. Most importantly I learned that God loves me. Deeply. Passionately. Perfectly.

If cold winds are blowing in your life I want to encourage you. Go to church. Talk to someone. Seek out that healing that you need. People cannot suffer with you if they do not know that you are suffering. 


If you aren't struggling, but know someone who is. Go to them. Don't just pray that they are blessed. Bless them. It's okay if you aren't quite sure how. God will be there. Sometimes all people need is a shoulder to cry on or an ear to listen. 

Finally, I want to thank everyone who reached out to me this last weekend. There were more of you then I could really talk about here. You gave me the words or the hug or the comfort that I needed. You were able to show God's love to me at a time when I needed it most.

Thank you.


May you become part of a church that suffers together. May you seek out friends in your time of need. May you heed the prompting of the Holy Spirit. And may you always remember that your Heavenly Father loves you deeply.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment